Righteousness can be defined as having right standing with God. It means being morally right and good in the sight of God. We were born as sinners which was inherited from Adam but Christ came and took away our sins and gave us his righteousness so that together with him we should be righteous before God.( 2nd corinthians 5:21). You do not only become righteous but also holy when you give your life to Christ. ( ephesians 4:24) A righteous man desires to do good ( proverbs 11:23; 1 samuel 24:17) and does not commit sin (1 corinthians 15:34). In addition, the bible says in 1 timothy 6:11, that those who follow after righteousness, seek godliness, faith, love, patience and meekness.
God is righteous and because he created us in his image, we are also rigtheous. (Psalms 119:137). Abraham believed God and was accepted as righteous (romans 4:3). The parents of John the baptist, Zechariah and Elisabeth, both lived good lives in God’s sight and obeyed fully all his laws and commands and so they too were righteous. ( luke 1:6) Job, Noah and Danial were also. How do you know whether you lead a righteous life?
1) You love people. (Luke 18:9)
2) You do not imitate sinners. (2 corinthians 6:14)
3) You do not sin ( 1 corinthians 15:34; Ezekiel 3:21)
4) You give to the poor. ( 2 corinthians 9:9)
5) You desire to do good. (Proverbs 11:23)
6) You put your hope in God and not in your riches. (Proverbs 11:28)
7) You eat the fruit of your labour. You do not labour in vain. ( Isaiah 3:10)
8) You never lack. (Proverbs 14:9)
9) You are as bold as a lion. (Proverbs 28:1)
10) You hate lying. (Proverbs 13:5)
What are the benefits of leading a righteous life?
1) Righteousness leads to eternal life. (Romans 5:21)
2) God protects the righteous. (Job 36:7; psalm 5:21)
3) God loves you. (Psalms 146:8)
4) You lead a joyful life. (Proverbs 10:28)
5) God listens to your prayers. (Psalms 34:17)
Friends, righteousness is so important that the bible says in mathew 6:34, that we should seek it first and we shall have any other thing we ask from God.